Monday, April 15, 2013

Highlighting Innocence

Once, when our first born was four years old, she stood in the foyer of our home holding her kitten, wearing a little corduroy jumper.  The light streamed in from the front of the house, and made her blonde hair sparkle.  She was filled with innocence and sweetness as she looked up at me, and it was as if heaven opened, and highlighted that moment for me.  Highlighted her innocence, her purity.  I'll never forget it.

Today my parents came to take our Sunshine to her violin lesson.  They pulled in the drive, as she was just finishing up some baking she had begun.  I was out in the driveway to meet them, and as I turned to see if she was going to be coming soon, or if I should go in to get her, the door burst open.

Out onto the porch spilled this same innocent child.  Dressed in a coral blazer with a navy blue crocheted dress and matching coral sandals, she came.  Kicking up a cloud of dust, heading toward us on a dead run, hair flying every which way, she came.  Her violin and books in one hand, clutching a small paper towel with two "fresh baked" cookies for Nanny and Poppy in the other; her Kit doll tucked safely under her arm. 

A picture of innocence, highlighted.  Twelve years old, and full of life, radiating sunshine.  This beautiful blessing, running towards me...  I'll never forget it.


No comments:

Post a Comment