Friday, March 11, 2011

Acting Out... (operative word "acting"...)

Today God decided I needed some comic relief.  And BOY did he supply me with a large amount today (not to mention a healthy dose of humbling, destroying any pride I may have had up to this point in my life; but you all know the "pants story"... there wasn't much pride left anyway.)

Picture me in all my glory in front of a bunch of fifteen boys beginning my stop motion animation class.  In pops the face of another Co-op Mom I love, requesting my presence in the hall.  Could she just have a moment of my time?  It's regarding my son.  (Oh, dear).  I quickly glance at "said son" as she makes this request (he is one of those 15 boys), and he immediately becomes quite interested in something on the floor.  Uh-huh.  This isn't going to be good.  She is not coming to tell me "what a joy" he is in class - you know it too, don't you?... and I knew it right then too.

It seems my dearly loved young man was having trouble "being a blessing" (my words) in class.  He colored on other people's papers, could not share the glue, and grabbed the vacuum from another child.  There was more, but I'll spare you.

After someone inquired "why" my beloved would behave in such an unkind way, he offered the best explanation he could offer.  I'm sure you all will be able to sympathize with him as well.  He was under stress.  Well - you all understand, I'm sure.  In fact my dear boy most certainly must have known that after he explained to his teacher how he "WAS IN FOSTER CARE" and was "ABOUT TO BE ADOPTED", and was therefore "GOING THROUGH A LOT OF CHANGES", she offered him much needed sympathy?!?

...I about died.  Right there in the hall.  I held it together long enough to invite my darling into the hall to "come clean", revealing his true heritage to his instructor.  This humbling event was followed up by a clearly defined "new normal" for my son which will require him to focus his attention on Things That Are True - and will fill MOST of his waking moments for the days to come.  Beginning with a letter to Said Teacher.

Apparently, it wasn't until another mom, who knows us well, enlightened her to the fact that my dear boy is indeed a "child of my womb" that she decided I maybe needed to be informed.  And it wasn't until later in this day (much later!) that the hilarity hit me square in the face, and I decided YOU needed to be informed.  We should all remember to laugh at moments like these... these humbling little moments of motherhood.

Thanks Lord, for my son... and how you made him... help me mold him Lord - make him just like you. . . and while we all wait for you to finish that Work in him - thanks for the laughs... I needed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment