Sunday, March 20, 2011

First Movie...

We took the kids to the movies on Friday night.  Seven seats filled - all in a row.  Made me smile.  


We sat through the previews, and I looked over at my two tiniest charges.  All wide eyed and happy.  Since we had come to see Tangled, the previews ended and the movie began with that grand site of Cinderella's Palace.  "Ohhhh"... the sound escaped from my smallest, sparkly-eyed girl.  I smiled.


And then she hopped out of her seat and asked for her coat.  


Can you guess?


She thought it was over.  It turns out that my littlest two have never been to see a movie at the theater before.  These are my favorite parts - finding these "firsts" in their lives and providing them.


I'm sure we're the last family on earth to see Tangled... (we waited for it's debut in the $3 theater).  I'm banking on the fact that you've seen it too.  


Remember when Rapunzel slides down her hair and tucks her feet up under her when she's only four inches from the ground?  And then when she finally gathers her courage and touches her bare feet to that soft grass, wriggling her toes into the the blades - and we watch her dance and jump and touch her toes into the water, and we see her in her first moments of being free...


And just when you're all delighted for her, you're suddenly watching as she's huddled in a mass, worried and torn over the freedom she's experiencing that she's KNOWS her mother wouldn't be pleased with.


Well - there it is.  That's my life!  Our babies struggle to overcome their fear of each particular "first", then dance with delight in their freedom, finally collapsing in a state of guilt; so conflicted they are to be delighting in anything while mom is "alone" and living "without"... they know it... they used to live "without" right alongside her.


It's an adventure, to say the least, and one that is full of unexpected turns and twists of exhilarating highs and devastating lows.  And it's the hardest, best thing I have ever done in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment